You may have heard of it in relation to depression as it is your "feel good" neurotransmitter. It is an essential chemical needed for motivation & the drive to do things. Dopamine is also associated with positive feelings such as being in love, exercising, listening to music & enjoying sex. Low amounts can cause problems with concentration, initiating or completing tasks, low energy & a lack of motivation. It can also lead to addictive or compulsive behavior.
Sound familiar? If it does & you or someone you care about is experiencing these problems, how do you get better?
Drugs for depression or anxiety have nasty side-effects such as:
- Changes in sex drive or function
- Unusual sweating
- Stomach pain
- Extreme tiredness
- Dry mouth
- Greater appetite
- Flu-like symptoms, including sneezing and runny nose
- Unusual excitement
Or more seriously:
- Hallucinations, which means seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Severe muscle stiffness
- Thoughts about suicide or dying
- New or worse depression or anxiety
- Extreme agitation or restlessness
- Panic attacks
- Trouble sleeping
- Unusual irritability
- Anger or aggressive behavior
- Mania, or an extreme increase in activity and talking
- Other unusual changes in behavior or mood
Scary!! The first thing your doctor is likely to do is prescribe you a drug with these side-effects. So again, how do you treat low dopamine levels if you want to avoid all the insane side-effects of these drugs (that ARE extremely over prescribed)?
Acupuncture, herbs, supplements, meditation, exercise & a healthy diet have all been shown to increase & maintain dopamine levels naturally, safely & very effectively!!
Together, we can get you or your loved one on a path to great mental & physical health!! Keep in mind, this can happen to anyone at any age. My door is open to all. Everyone deserves to be their healthiest!!