Happy 2017! It's a new year and most of us are definitely up for out with the old and in with the new! 2016 proved to be a rough year for a lot of people but change is in the air!
If you haven't heard by now, resolutions often fail. Why? Well...
- People tend to know what it is they want to change but aren't often clear on why they want something to change. Be sure you know why it is you want something to change. It'll will keep your what in focus!
- Unfortunately, we've become an instant gratification society. Last time I checked, the easy way isn't always the quickest way or visa versa to achieve things. Change takes time and that's ok! You're in for the long haul, the marathon, not the sprint.
- People tend to over think their resolutions instead of putting it in to action! Each day take a step towards you're goals. Put the thinking in ahead of time so that when the clock strikes the time for your resolution to start, you're ready! Which leads into the next reason resolutions tend to fail.
- Resolutions generally aren't specific enough for measurable. What you're trying to accomplish needs to be clear to you! Each step needs to be something you can most definitely attain and measure. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure.
- Truly try to reach your resolution goal but don't over extend yourself. When we try too hard, too fast or set unrealistic goals, we all get burnt out. This can lead to losing momentum or completely hating your goal. Keep track of your goals so you can see the progress you do make and again, it's the marathon, not the sprint.
- Loosing interest or beginning to despise the resolution you set out is common. This often occurs because of the above stated actions, trying to hard, an unclear goal, etc. Take a breathe. You're in it to win it!
- Be sure you have good social support. For example, I often see patients whom's significant others, aren't willing to change their diets along side my patient. I've seen it time and time again, it's a recipe for failure. Now, the significant other doesn't necessarily have to change their diet as well but at least be supportive of their partners goal. Don't go eating pizza in front of someone you care about who is trying not to eat pizza. You will crush them.
- Finally, believe in yourself! We've all failed at things. Don't let that discourage you. A positive mindset, especially about oneself, is powerful! If you take the time in really thinking through your resolution, create realistic steps that are achievable, keep track of your progress and find social support... You Got This!
This year beginning January 28th, is the year of the Chinese Fire Rooster. Those born in 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993 and 2005 are Chinese Zodiac Roosters. So what does the year of the Fire Rooster mean for you and the rest of us?
Fire Rooster signs tend to have strong wills, are proactive, display leadership qualities, are flamboyant, well read, with good senses of humor. Unfortunately, they also can have a volatile nature, be unrealistic, self-centered and stubborn. Imagine a combination of all of these qualities manifesting and shaping every aspect of our lives in 2017.
Expect initiative, generosity, industriousness and honesty to be on your side helping you to succeed this year. If you tend towards egocentrsim, fanaticism and coarseness you will have an unlucky year. Unfortunately, when ones year of the Chinese Zodiac comes around, it is always considered an unfortunate year for those born in that sign. Chinese advise exercising caution in every aspect of your life as the year goes on.
Now, none of what I've written above I have written as fact. It's for fun! Remember that every year, month, week, day, hour or minute can be an opportunity for you to improve your life, to take steps towards your goals! If you happen to need a little push in the right direction, you can call on me! Take care and grab 2017 by the roosters comb!