Does acupuncture hurt?
- No, although there can be a slight sensation as the needles are inserted but it dissipates quickly.
Are your needles like the one's hospitals use?
- No. Those needles are hypodermic needles and are hollow to inject medicine or remove fluids from the body. They range in size (or gauge) from 1.3mm (17G) to 0.45mm (26G). By comparison, acupuncture needles are not hollow and range from 0.3mm (30G) to 0.16mm (40G). So, as you can see, the largest acupuncture needle is still smaller than the smallest hypodermic needle.
How big are the needles?
- I typically use 30 gauge needles.
How far are the needles inserted?
- Typically not very deep. The depth is determined by many factors such as symptoms, area of treatment, etc. Before each session we will discuss your treatment and I will answer all your questions so you will be completely informed before we begin treatment.
What is a "TENS unit"?
- A transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) unit is a device with two or more electrode clamps or pads that send small electrical currents to targeted body parts. An electrical stimulation unit does the same but with clamps that attach to the needles providing a deeper reach.
How long are the sessions?
Sessions usually last 45 minutes to an hour, depending on your situation at the time of your appointment. Your first appointment will last 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes as the initial consultation will require extra time.
Is acupuncture covered by my insurance?
- Most major insurance plans and more and more insurance companies are starting to cover acupuncture. Contact me to see if your insurance will cover a portion of your treatments though, WHA does not accept insurance.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of treatment is dependent upon many factors. Insurance companies set the cost they will cover for treatment if they do in fact cover acupuncture. What we do within a session can change the cost as well. Within out first meeting, we'll talk about your health history, what's currently ailing you and once I've gathered that information, I'll be better able to decide what treatment will work best for you. I want to heal you, not bankrupt you. Please contact me to discuss payment options, I will work with you if your insurance won't cover acupuncture.
Does acupuncture help with addictions?
- Yes! The number of sessions depend on the level of addiction, length of addiction, age, and the person themselves. Some people quit with only a few session while others need 12 or more.
How many sessions WILL I NEED?
- Each patient's health problems and subsequent responses are unique, therefore the number and frequency of treatments varies. The typical recommendation is 1-2 treatments a week for 16-20 weeks, although some patients respond favorably after 2-4 treatments. Some may not notice results until the 9th or 10th visit. In general, chronic conditions require more treatments over a longer period of time than acute conditions. Acupuncture builds towards improvement each time you have it done. Just like exercise and diet do. The more you dedicate yourself to your treatment, the sooner you'll see results!
Acupuncture has really helped me! Could my Child get acupuncture? would they be too young?
- Yes, (s)he could! I've treated patients as young as 7 years old. They just need to be able to understand what we'll do and follow simple instructions. A parent or guardian must always be present.
How can acupuncture work for me?
- Acupuncture is the insertion of fine, sterile needles into the body. By doing so, the area of the body the needles are inserted into are stimulated. When the needles enter the body, your immune, nervous and musculoskeletal systems are also stimulated or activated. This allows the body's energy (Qi) to flow, opening up any areas where the energy may be stuck. This sets the stage for the body to begin to repair and heal itself.
- Acupunctures main objectives are to relieve symptoms of any particular condition you may be suffering from, to strengthen the immune system, regulate the central nervous system and to balance, harmonzie and integrate the functions of the internal organs with each other. This all combines to balance, harmonize and unify your body and mind creating your optimal health, no matter what you suffer from or to prevent you from getting sick.